Followers

Friday 2 July 2010

Bye bye Tea party soaps and HELLO Cream Teas!!

I'm both excited and sad today.  I have been working like a trojan to get my new soaps put together and I'm really annoyed with myself that I did not take step-by-step photos, I think they would have been fun, oh well, next time.  I was sad as I had to say goodbye to my "Mad Hatter Tea Party" cupcakes.  Its funny how I get attached to my soaps, but I really do!  I am just hoping that their new owner and bride-to-be is as happy as I am.  Her wedding in at the end of July and I wish her all the best for a beautiful and sunny day.  Here they are for one last time nestled in their new special cupcake boxes, don't they look snug?  I'm so glad that the corners of the tablecloths just fit above the holes for the cupcake bases - pure luck! (by the way, they are all CP soap apart from the jam)


So now to the exciting bit.  My lovely daughter Aimee had the idea.  "Mum why don't you make some cream tea cupcakes?"  To which I replied "Great idea!!" (because I stupidly think I can make anything in CP soap and I love a challenge)
We live in beautiful, sunny Devon, England and a tradition both here and in Cornwall is to have a cream tea.  For those of you who don't know what that is I will explain.  You order a cream tea, and it has to be at a proper old farmhouse with a lovely garden full of roses, and out comes a tray groaning with china teapot, milk jug, cups and saucers and a serving dish full of handmade, just out of the oven that morning, plain scones.  (am I making you hungry yet?) - also on the tray is a dish piled high with homemade jam, full of fruit and smelling delicious and then the main event - Rich, golden and scrummy clotted cream.  If you don't know this wonderful stuff you have never really lived.... its gloriously stiff, never really runny, with a crust that breaks as soon as you put your spoon into it - my sister, who now lives in California - can eat it straight off the spoon!!  This is what a table usually looks like.....


So today I put them altogether.  For those soap makers among you, I had already made the fruit using rebatch CP soap scented with berries FO and had made a basic goats milk and olive oil soap with added honey and poured this into my molds the day before.  I cut the "scones", sponged the freshly baked look using natural oxide pigments, made up my special whipped clotted cream CP soap and put them all together.  I am so pleased with the results!



STRAWBERRY JAM AND CLOTTED CREAM


BLACKBERRY JELLYLICIOUS

So, the end of a very busy but productive day and that has to be good.  Now I want to go and look up lots of other countries national, favourite sweet/pastry dishes and see if I can make them in soap.......  Oh my, I think I'm on a roll........  ideas please?


7 comments:

  1. OH. My. Goodness. These look good enough to eat! The detail on the scones using oxides is so realistic. You could probably use your technique for Strawberry Shortcake too. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-these are amazing! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love these soaps - they are gorgeous. Such amazing work!

    Kerry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm smiling big and seriously want to smell these! These cream tea soaps look amazing! Do you ever say to yourself, "Ok, I've just outdone myself"?

    The only other idea I can think of is donuts, but that might be too simple. Can't wait to see more of your wonderful creations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your lovely comments everyone. I really am pleased with these soaps and can't wait to see peoples faces when I bring them out!! The only thing that gets me is having to use M&P soap for the jam I hate the way M&P gets dew on it on a humid day and I have never found a way around this, any ideas fellow soap makers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sponge cake is pure genius! A nice large wedge of apple pie would have to be the American favorite with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are truly amazing. Brilliant photos too.
    Millie

    ReplyDelete